Saturday 26 March 2011

Taro, Brewer Street ♥

Ok, so I have a major case of the non-sleepies and figured I'd better do some posting before exams take over my life and I have to go into dormouse style hibernation (that's if dormice flailed over revision while listening to the Smiths and downed Red Bull...hm yeah). Plus I had decent pictures I'd taken from Tuesday which turned out fine despite the fact that I'm an idiot when it comes to photography. 


Before I launch into my review, in light of the tragedies occurring in Japan, I felt it would be appropriate to include some links so readers can donate if they want. It goes without saying that this is a super worthy cause and the smallest amount can help make a world of difference. 

Click here to to donate to the British Red Cross Japan Tsunami Appeal 


Click here to see a list of legitimate charities that you can offer support to (This goes to a Time magazine link which is regularly updated with new and trusted charities working in Japan). 





A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in the London Student office writing up a review of Taro and salivating at the thought of some decent Japanese food while eating a Reese's Nutrageous (good, but lame in comparison to sashimi) and I've had major cravings ever since. 


So, on Tuesday I went to Taro with two friends who had never met before, but got on really well with one another and had an insanely fun time. We had a good catch up/bonding session over ramen, teriyaki, lame jokes about N-Dubz, bad hearing and a mutual love for Blackheath which was pretty awesome. Anyway, enough about us - it's time for me to ramble on about the food! 


Taro is nestled in Brewer and Compton streets and is what I believe to be, one of the best Japanese sushi and noodle bars in London. I came across Taro around a year ago, after a particularly unfulfilling meal at Leon (yes, I had two dinners and feel proud, rather than ashamed at revealing this potentially embarrassing fact).


The menu has a pretty good variety of noodles, sushi and bento sets but I decided to order the chicken teriyaki-don. The first time I went to Taro, I honestly wasn’t expecting anything particularly amazing – it was late, I was hungry and at that point would quite happily have devoured a small woodland creature. However, when my chicken teriyaki arrived, I was impressed.

If you weren't hungry before you read this, you most probably are now. Unless you're a vegetarian.

The box itself is pretty unassuming, but within lies roughly cut chunks of fresh, succulent chicken, draped in a thick curtain of oozing, syrupy and rich teriyaki sauce, all served on a bed of fluffy, perfectly seasoned steamed rice. Every time I've been here (and that's a fair few times) the execution of this Japanese staple is exactly the same and I think that's the sign of a really good eaterie - consistency. 

The chicken was cooked was totally and blissfully perfect. The skin had crisped up into a delicious curl of salty fat (it always reminds me of torikawa) yet the chicken was still moist and not dry at all. Yum. The sauce is also pretty good and balances the saltiness of the chicken with its sweet warmness. 

Dil ordered the pork ramen which was essentially an island of delectable noodles floating in a sea of spicy, sesame oil infused stock. I'm not a big ramen fan, but still felt slightly jealous. 

I refused to let a starving Dil eat because I wanted schnappsies. Mwahaha. 
I've had sushi here too and it's always been fantastic – the salmon, eel and octopus were super fresh and the portions were generous. There were thick slices of fish on the rice, as opposed to thin, anaemic looking slices that you usually get in sushi bars in London.

Taro is also exceptionally good value – we ate very well and Dil said the prices were similar to what you would pay in Japan. There are also two locations, one in Brewer Street and Old Compton Street, which are within a five minute walk from one another. The staff are friendly and you can often see Mr. Taro himself at the Brewer Street branch. 

The highlight of our lunch was when our waiter grinned and said 'here it comes' before sliding the little tray with change onto our table. I'm not entirely sure why, but we were all in fits of giggles for the rest of the afternoon.

Taro gets super busy on weekends on both sides, but there’s no need to book unless there’s three or more of you, just turn up and you should be able to get a seat, as long as you don’t mind feeling a tad cramped. Overall, Taro is truly awesome – good quality food at a price that won’t make you baulk which is quite a rare occurrence when it comes to sushi in London these days.

Details, details: 

61 Brewer Street, London W1
Tel: 020-7734 5826
10 Old Compton Street, London W1
Tel: 020-7439 2275/020-7494 1603