Monday 1 August 2011

Fit.

This whole not buying stuff thing…
Has failed. Miserably.

I tried, I really did, but then I went on and bought new heels, flats, Scholl Pescuras (BUT THEY’RE SO GOOD FOR YOU AND LIMITED EDITION TOO!), cute silk blouses, Valentino scarves and things from Aquascutum which I tried to pass off as workwear and heaps of other things.

Luckily Part B of the plan, i.e. the bit that consists of me giving stuff away is in FULL SWING. I haven’t had a chance to package up everything but I am part way through and it’s looking good. Also I’ve been doing research on capsule wardrobe management, so I’m feeling optimistic. Being super organised is SO lovely and satisfying. *Nadal fist pump*

Anyway, onto the real shizzle…one thing that I have picked up on is the fact that I’ve bought SO MUCH CRAP that simply does not fit. It didn’t fit properly when I bought it, it doesn’t fit now and it will probably never ever fit, unless I fork out loads for a tailor to sort it out and I am not prepared to do that, because I’ll end up penniless and peddling my body for money to fix my clothes. All slightly pointless.

I don’t know why, but I’ve managed to go through life buying things that just aren’t right for me. I’ll do it once, vow never to do it again and before I know it, I’ll find myself saying ‘YES PLEASE’ to a pair of size 5 heels even though:

A) Renie cannot walk in heels properly without dying
b)    B) I'm a size 4 and will never be a size 5 because I’m pretty sure I’ve stopped growing

I am clearly quite a big moron when it comes to buying stuff. I’ve improved – the less rational me once bought a yellow coat because according to Urban Outfitters it was the ‘OMGZMUSTHAVEOFTHESEASON’ even though it made me look like Paddington Bear’s Chinese Counterpart, but I’m nowhere near the other bloggers who seem to get this capsule shit right.

Usually I’m not buying things in the right size because I’m in denial about my blubberous body, but rather they just don’t have my size so I’ll just buy it in a different one, because y’know, that’s what smart kids do.

I’d like to say it’s because I really appreciate the craftsmanship and want to buy it anyway so I can admire the bits of fabric and ornamental details some poor sod’s had to clobber together, but usually it’s just because I want it and am ok with shelling out for second rate stuff that doesn’t fit me. Which frankly, is absolutely retarded.

Talking to my friends, both boys and girls – this affliction doesn’t target a specific sex, y’know, most people seem to be guilty of it to some extent but really, it doesn’t make sense.

Surely if something doesn’t fit well and doesn’t make you look awesome because it is just not your size, you’d be better off NOT having it, rather than having it so tight you actually cannot breathe and look like a strangled sausage…or on the other hand, having something so baggy you look like a wooden spoon in a pillowcase.

One of my friends has the best test for clothes shopping which I constantly try to use every time I feel I am falling off the wagon. According to her ‘if this shit doesn’t make you look good and feel good, then why are you paying for it?’

I’m pretty sure everyone knows what makes them look good or not/whether it’s actually comfortable and you don’t feel like you’re being wedgified or like you’re lost in an ocean of fabric.

So let’s not settle for shitty, ill-fitting stuff, because no one wants to look like a they’re stuck in a fuchsia straitjacket or a wooden spoon in a pillowcase.  Unless of course, you’re into that sort of thing, in which case…don’t let me get in your way ;)